LOS ANGELES (AP) — Fire has destroyed a large one-story commercial building in downtown Los Angeles.
The blaze erupted before 5 a.m. Tuesday and nearly 120 firefighters responded.
Fire Department spokeswoman Amy Bastman says firefighters kept the flames from spreading to adjacent buildings but they had to retreat from the roof of the burning structure and pour heavy water streams from outside.
The flames were knocked down after about 90 minutes. One firefighter was taken to a hospital for examination of an injury.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- Deer could be a reservoir of old coronavirus variants, study suggests
- Goodbye passport stamps, hello biometrics: Customs is getting faster
- Rep. George Santos is stepping down from committees amid fabrications about his biography
- Video shows mysterious whirlpool spiral flying over Hawaii night sky
The cause remains under investigation.