DIXFIELD, Maine (AP) — Officials say a western Maine man is in the hospital after a kitchen fire left him with burns over nearly half his body.
Firefighters say they were on the scene Tuesday night in Dixfield, and victim Richard Roberts had to be airlifted to an area hospital. Firefighter Chris Morretto says he was able to put out the kitchen fire and prevent it from spreading.
Fire Chief Scott Dennett says 78-year-old Roberts had burns over 45 percent of his body, with significant burning on his hands and arms.
The home has no exterior damage and the damage inside the home is minor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump says he'll give State of Union after shutdown ends VIEW
- AP Exclusive: Adoptee deported by US sues S. Korea, agency
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- How anonymous tweets helped ignite a national controversy over MAGA hat teens
- Nathan Phillips, Native American in standoff with teens, faces scrutiny of his military past
The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.