DIXFIELD, Maine (AP) — Officials say a western Maine man is in the hospital after a kitchen fire left him with burns over nearly half his body.
Firefighters say they were on the scene Tuesday night in Dixfield, and victim Richard Roberts had to be airlifted to an area hospital. Firefighter Chris Morretto says he was able to put out the kitchen fire and prevent it from spreading.
Fire Chief Scott Dennett says 78-year-old Roberts had burns over 45 percent of his body, with significant burning on his hands and arms.
The home has no exterior damage and the damage inside the home is minor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Can 'Jeopardy!' whiz James Holzhauer be beat? The science of memory and recall, explained
- Morehouse College graduates’ student loans to be paid off by billionaire
- Trump's sanctions on Iran are hitting Hezbollah hard
- Oregon college safety officer pleads guilty to killing woman
The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.