DIXFIELD, Maine (AP) — Officials say a western Maine man is in the hospital after a kitchen fire left him with burns over nearly half his body.
Firefighters say they were on the scene Tuesday night in Dixfield, and victim Richard Roberts had to be airlifted to an area hospital. Firefighter Chris Morretto says he was able to put out the kitchen fire and prevent it from spreading.
Fire Chief Scott Dennett says 78-year-old Roberts had burns over 45 percent of his body, with significant burning on his hands and arms.
The home has no exterior damage and the damage inside the home is minor.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Extra pilot saved doomed Lion Air jetliner on next-to-last flight
- Confusion, then prayer, in cockpit of doomed Lion Air jet
- Italy: Bus driver abducts 51 children, sets vehicle on fire
- Witness describes death plunge of two Yosemite climbers
- Wealthy parents in admissions scandal under intense pressure to make deals. Here's why
The Maine Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the cause of the fire.