ROCKVILLE, Md. (AP) — Firefighters say a blaze at a decades-old Maryland tavern in a Washington, D.C. suburb has caused damage costing roughly $500,000.
Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service tells WTTG-TV it appears the flames at Hank Dietle’s Tavern in Rockville were caused accidentally. Dozens of firefighters worked several hours overnight to control the blaze after it had been reported early Wednesday.
Hank Dietle’s opened in the 1950s after a fire destroyed the establishment that preceded it at the same location. The tavern featured live music and drinks.
Piringer says discarded smoking materials likely started the fire.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Snow blankets Puget Sound region, snarls morning commutes, delays schools VIEW
- Boomtown Seattle: Why we move here — and how we’re all in it together VIEW
- As debate heats up in Olympia over guns, a GOP state lawmaker invents a massacre
- Enemy World War II fighter pilots told a tale of peril and reconciliation. Then there was the truth. | PNW Magazine VIEW
Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com