BOSTON (AP) — Federal authorities have arrested a Guatemalan man they say was busted with more than five kilograms of the powerful opioid fentanyl in his car.
The U.S. attorney’s office in Boston says 26-year-old Rene Alejandro Salazar Reyes was arrested Saturday and is scheduled to appear in court Thursday for a detention and probable cause hearing.
Prosecutors say Reyes was a courier for a drug dealer and was scheduled to deliver the fentanyl with a street value of about $1.25 million to a witness cooperating with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
Authorities say he was pulled over and consented to a search of his vehicle. Police say they found a plastic shopping bag on the rear passenger floor that contained 23 heat-sealed bags containing drugs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Supreme Court allows Jan. 6 committee to get Trump documents
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- Carhartt said vaccination remains mandatory for employees. A conservative backlash ensued
- US charges Belarus with air piracy in reporter's arrest
It wasn’t immediately clear if Reyes has a lawyer.