PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A convicted bank robber paroled in 2011 is under arrest again, charged with carrying out a new string of holdups in the Philadelphia area as the man dubbed the “Straw Hat Bandit.”
The FBI arrested 57-year-old Richard Boyle on Thursday on charges he committed 11 bank robberies from 2012 through 2016. The first occurred less than a year after Boyle got out of prison.
The FBI says Boyle wore disguises during the stickups, including a straw hat and mask.
He’s accused of brandishing a handgun in nearly all the robberies, netting nearly a half-million dollars.
Most Read Stories
- Seattle’s income tax on the wealthy is illegal, judge rules
- Analysis: Five reasons the Seahawks waived Dwight Freeney WATCH
- Retired Alabama cop on Roy Moore: ‘We were also told to ... make sure that he didn’t hang around the cheerleaders’
- Jobs that pay without a B.A.: the most lucrative fields in Washington state
- A Washington syrah was named second best wine in the world
It was unclear whether he has a lawyer. A message left at his photography business wasn’t returned.
The Intelligencer newspaper in Doylestown reports Boyle was in prison on a parole violation when he was arrested.