PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal authorities say a former political consultant to U.S. Rep. Bob Brady of Pennsylvania was the target of a murder-for-hire plot in connection with a corruption investigation in Arkansas and Missouri.
Court documents filed Monday in Missouri show 56-year-old Milton Cranford tried to hire a hit man to kill 62-year-old Donald Jones. Authorities say Jones was targeted because Cranston was afraid he would be implicated in a $1 million bribery scheme involving a Missouri nonprofit.
Cranford, an Arkansas lobbyist, was arrested last month with a .45-caliber pistol and nearly $18,000 in cash that authorities say he planned to pay the hit man.
Cranford’s attorney denies the accusations, calling them “mischaracterizations” from “highly questionable sources.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump said he thinks 'the people would revolt' if he were impeached
- 'Dirty deeds': Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen gets 3 years in prison
- Delta says no more support kittens, puppies on flights
- Warming in Arctic raises fears of 'rapid unraveling’ of the region
- Pelosi gives Trump an earful, questions 'manhood' in private WATCH
Prosecutors say charges related to the alleged murder plot are likely forthcoming, pending the result of the ongoing investigation.