PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal authorities say a former political consultant to U.S. Rep. Bob Brady of Pennsylvania was the target of a murder-for-hire plot in connection with a corruption investigation in Arkansas and Missouri.
Court documents filed Monday in Missouri show 56-year-old Milton Cranford tried to hire a hit man to kill 62-year-old Donald Jones. Authorities say Jones was targeted because Cranston was afraid he would be implicated in a $1 million bribery scheme involving a Missouri nonprofit.
Cranford, an Arkansas lobbyist, was arrested last month with a .45-caliber pistol and nearly $18,000 in cash that authorities say he planned to pay the hit man.
Cranford’s attorney denies the accusations, calling them “mischaracterizations” from “highly questionable sources.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- 'American Taliban' fighter to be released after 17 years VIEW
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Mnuchin says Tubman $20 bill design delayed past 2020
- Trump stalks out on Democrats, demands end of investigations VIEW
Prosecutors say charges related to the alleged murder plot are likely forthcoming, pending the result of the ongoing investigation.