PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Federal authorities say a former political consultant to U.S. Rep. Bob Brady of Pennsylvania was the target of a murder-for-hire plot in connection with a corruption investigation in Arkansas and Missouri.
Court documents filed Monday in Missouri show 56-year-old Milton Cranford tried to hire a hit man to kill 62-year-old Donald Jones. Authorities say Jones was targeted because Cranston was afraid he would be implicated in a $1 million bribery scheme involving a Missouri nonprofit.
Cranford, an Arkansas lobbyist, was arrested last month with a .45-caliber pistol and nearly $18,000 in cash that authorities say he planned to pay the hit man.
Cranford’s attorney denies the accusations, calling them “mischaracterizations” from “highly questionable sources.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- To defend Trump, conservatives smear journalist presumed dead
- Justice Department charges Russian woman with interference in midterm elections
Prosecutors say charges related to the alleged murder plot are likely forthcoming, pending the result of the ongoing investigation.