LITTLE COMPTON, R.I. (AP) — Officials say a Rhode Island family drove to the fire department for help when a fire broke out because they couldn’t call 911.
Little Compton Fire Chief Richard Petrin says the family tried to use their landline early Thursday morning, but they lost power. He says the family turned to their cellphones, but there was no service.
Petrin says by the time crews responded to the fire, flames were shooting out of the roof of the home’s garage.
He says firefighters spent 30 minutes controlling the blaze. Fire officials were able to keep the fire contained to the garage, saving the rest of the home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Trump's remarks about changing European culture draw ire WATCH
- Meet the brains behind the 'Trump Baby' balloon
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
- Man nabbed in wife's chain saw attack was deported 11 times
The fire chief says the garage and one car were completely destroyed. No injuries were reported.
An investigation is ongoing.