JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — Family members say a New Jersey toddler struck in the face by a stray bullet while sitting in his family’s parked car has undergone surgery and is expected to recover fully.
The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Jersey City. Authorities are still trying to determine what led to the gunfire.
They say Mina Beshay was sitting in the backseat when a gunshot shattered a window and struck the 1-year-old. His 5-year-old sister and their father were also in the vehicle but weren’t injured.
Relatives say the boy had surgery Saturday night to remove a piece of a bullet and glass from his face. He was expected to head home Sunday, but further details on his condition weren’t disclosed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The handwarming story of how Bernie Sanders got his inauguration mittens
- ‘A total failure’: The Proud Boys now mock Trump
- The woman behind Michelle Obama's instantly iconic hair
- Hank Aaron, baseball great who became voice for civil rights, dies at 86
- The final U.S. county to get COVID-19? A remote Hawaiian outpost and former leper colony
No arrests have been made.