JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) — Family members say a New Jersey toddler struck in the face by a stray bullet while sitting in his family’s parked car has undergone surgery and is expected to recover fully.
The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. Saturday in Jersey City. Authorities are still trying to determine what led to the gunfire.
They say Mina Beshay was sitting in the backseat when a gunshot shattered a window and struck the 1-year-old. His 5-year-old sister and their father were also in the vehicle but weren’t injured.
Relatives say the boy had surgery Saturday night to remove a piece of a bullet and glass from his face. He was expected to head home Sunday, but further details on his condition weren’t disclosed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A Kansas boy entered a unique insect at the state fair. It triggered a federal investigation
- As experts warn of brutal flu 'twindemic,' here are 8 things to know about getting your flu shot
- A woman saw a gynecologist for nine years. Then she discovered he was her biological father, lawsuit says
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- 4 friends found dead in abandoned SUV in a cornfield; police call motive 'a mystery'
No arrests have been made.