MIDDLE RIVER, Md. (AP) — A Maryland family who lost a colorful, handmade quilt to holiday package thiefs was thrilled when a Baltimore County police officer caught the thiefs and the quilt was returned to them.
This week, they brought the quilt with them to the officer’s wake as a way to honor her.
Officer Amy Caprio was killed Monday when she was run over by a teenager as she investigated a report of a suspicious vehicle.
The Baltimore Sun reports that Amy Santopietro attended Caprio’s viewing Thursday, carrying the quilt made by Santopietro’s mother-in-law and mailed to her 8-year-old daughter.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What are ultra-processed foods? What should I eat instead?
- Body of missing famed U.S. extreme skier recovered in Nepal
- Fact check: The false claim that Senate GOP seeks ‘to end Social Security and Medicare’
- Trump reportedly admitted taking Kim Jong Un letters from White House
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
But police said Caprio’s investigation tracked down the package thiefs and helped close dozens of theft cases across the county.
Santopietro said she feels very indebted to Caprio.
Information from: The Baltimore Sun, http://www.baltimoresun.com