Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said Saturday that the attackers in Friday night's coordinated, deadly assaults used the explosive TATP, which has been called the "mother of Satan" because of its volatility.
NEW YORK (AP) — Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said Saturday that the attackers in Friday night’s coordinated, deadly assaults used the explosive TATP, which has been called the “mother of Satan” because of its volatility.
TATP, or triacetone triperoxide, is an improvised explosive that also was used in the 2005 London bombings that killed 52 commuters.
The U.S. government’s National Counterterrorism Center lists TATP as a common explosive and describes it as “relatively easy to synthesize.” Experts have said that tracing the materials used to make the explosive can be difficult because they are so readily available in stores.
- Paris attacks: Suspect interrogated, Brussels remains in lockdown
- Russia confirms its jet was shot down near Turkish border
- Hollande visits Obama, will stress Russia cooperation in ISIS fight
- Brussels security lockdown hits businesses
- The Latest: Kosovo closes 16 groups linked to extremism
- Indiana governor faces lawsuit for blocking Syrian refugees
- Truth Needle: Is Obama trying to import 1.5 million Muslims?
- Danny Westneat: The Syrian scapegoat next door
- FYI Guy: King County refugee populations
- 630,000 Syrian refugees struggle in Jordan
- Don’t let fear dictate how Syrian refugees are resettled
- Some simple truths about terrorism and how to respond
- Readers respond to question of whether the U.S. should welcome Syrian refugees
The counterterrorism center’s website describes the explosive as a mixture of “hydrogen peroxide and acetone with the addition of an acid, such as sulfuric, nitric, or hydrochloric acid.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Despite Trump attacks, both parties vow orderly election WATCH
- Massive genetic study shows coronavirus mutating and potentially evolving amid rapid U.S. spread
- Luxury cars, MAGA flags and Facebook invites: How an unknown Idaho family organized the Portland rally that turned deadly
- 2 Louisville officers shot amid Breonna Taylor protests VIEW
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
It says TATP “can be very unstable and sensitive to heat, shock, and friction.”
The explosive also was used by Richard Reid, who tried unsuccessfully to detonate a bomb in his shoe during a trans-Atlantic flight in 2001.
On Friday night, three suicide bombs targeted spots around the Stade de France stadium, where French President Francois Hollande was watching a France-Germany soccer match. Another attacker detonated a suicide bomb on Boulevard Voltaire, near the Bataclan music hall where dozens of people were killed by gunmen, the prosecutor’s office said.