GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say an ex-Phoenix police officer and his wife have been indicted on murder and child abuse charges in the death of his 7-year-old daughter.
Goodyear police say 38-year-old Germayne Cunningham and 48-year-old Lisa Cunningham haven’t been arrested yet, but are expected to appear before a judge later this month.
Police records show Sanaa Cunningham was rushed to an urgent care center in February and reportedly had bruises and scratches all over her body.
She later died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Commentary | What’s behind Melania Trump’s ‘I really don’t care, do u’ jacket?
- Crying Honduran girl on cover of Time was not separated from her mother
- Justices adopt digital-age privacy rules to track cellphones
- Melania Trump dons 'I really don't care, do u?' jacket
- Koko, beloved gorilla who learned to use sign language, has died
After a 10-month investigation, police submitted charges to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office and the Cunninghams were indicted by a grand jury on 10 counts of child abuse and one count of first-degree murder.
Germayne Cunningham was the child’s biological father. He was with Phoenix police for 12 years before resigning in September.