GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say an ex-Phoenix police officer and his wife have been indicted on murder and child abuse charges in the death of his 7-year-old daughter.
Goodyear police say 38-year-old Germayne Cunningham and 48-year-old Lisa Cunningham haven’t been arrested yet, but are expected to appear before a judge later this month.
Police records show Sanaa Cunningham was rushed to an urgent care center in February and reportedly had bruises and scratches all over her body.
She later died.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fear mounts in Austin as serial bomber uses tripwire VIEW
- Self-driving vehicle strikes and kills pedestrian in Arizona VIEW
- He attends an elite university but lives in a trailer with no heat or sewer hookups VIEW
- Beluga calf rescued off Alaska moved to SeaWorld San Antonio
- Bones discovered on Pacific island belong to Amelia Earhart, new forensic analysis shows VIEW
After a 10-month investigation, police submitted charges to the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office and the Cunninghams were indicted by a grand jury on 10 counts of child abuse and one count of first-degree murder.
Germayne Cunningham was the child’s biological father. He was with Phoenix police for 12 years before resigning in September.