SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) — Authorities say a former Pennsylvania hospice executive went from federal prison in West Virginia to jail in Louisiana, where she’s accused of stealing $90,000 from an assisted living center.
Caddo Parish sheriff’s spokeswoman Cindy Chadwick says 50-year-old Mary Ann Stewart of Carrolltown, Pennsylvania, is in Caddo Parish jail on a felony theft charge, with bond set at $250,000.
Stewart was chief operating officer at a northwest Louisiana assisted living facility from February 2013 to March 2015. A sheriff’s office news release says she’s accused of requesting checks for false orders and for nonexistent employee training.
Stewart pleaded guilty to one count of health care fraud in 2016. Prosecutors said the case involved millions of dollars in fraudulent billings at a suburban Pittsburgh hospice where she was chief operating officer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen