GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) — A former South Carolina officer who is accused of assaulting an inmate has been charged.
News outlets reported Wednesday that 41-year-old Casie Marlene Caggiano was charged with third-degree assault and battery. An arrest warrant says the former Cherokee County Detention Center officer hit the inmate’s head and face in February.
The state Law Enforcement Division investigated the case at the request of the county sheriff’s office.
Caggiano was being held at the detention center where she once worked. It is unclear if she has a lawyer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At-home COVID-19 tests: What to know about expiration dates, new variants
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Lawmaker proposes sending WA families a gas tax refund check
- A toddler lost in the woods is found asleep using family dog as a pillow
- Iran’s president threatens U.S. officials from the U.N. podium, dimming hopes for a rapprochement