GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) — A former South Carolina officer who is accused of assaulting an inmate has been charged.
News outlets reported Wednesday that 41-year-old Casie Marlene Caggiano was charged with third-degree assault and battery. An arrest warrant says the former Cherokee County Detention Center officer hit the inmate’s head and face in February.
The state Law Enforcement Division investigated the case at the request of the county sheriff’s office.
Caggiano was being held at the detention center where she once worked. It is unclear if she has a lawyer.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- WSU police chief, 2 others retire after internal investigation
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?