HARTWELL, Ga. (AP) — A former Georgia judge is accused of forcibly kissing and groping several women who sought help with traffic violations.
Seventy-seven-year-old Bobby Joe Smith was indicted Thursday on allegations that he assaulted three women who asked to reduce traffic violation punishments. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Smith is charged with bribery and civil rights violations in the alleged assaults committed between 2013 and 2014.
The indictment details the attacks on the women, including once when a woman was holding a child.
The Athens Banner-Herald reports Smith resigned as a Hart County probate judge following his arrest in 2014 on charges including simple battery in connection to the allegations. He was a judge for 22 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Can 'Jeopardy!' whiz James Holzhauer be beat? The science of memory and recall, explained
- Trump plans to release thousands of migrants in two Democratic strongholds, Florida officials say
- Trump's sanctions on Iran are hitting Hezbollah hard
- Ammo from crashed F-16 safely destroyed
Smith will appear in court on April 25.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com