HARTWELL, Ga. (AP) — A former Georgia judge is accused of forcibly kissing and groping several women who sought help with traffic violations.
Seventy-seven-year-old Bobby Joe Smith was indicted Thursday on allegations that he assaulted three women who asked to reduce traffic violation punishments. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Smith is charged with bribery and civil rights violations in the alleged assaults committed between 2013 and 2014.
The indictment details the attacks on the women, including once when a woman was holding a child.
The Athens Banner-Herald reports Smith resigned as a Hart County probate judge following his arrest in 2014 on charges including simple battery in connection to the allegations. He was a judge for 22 years.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
Smith will appear in court on April 25.
Information from: The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, http://www.ajc.com