ERIE, Pa. (AP) — It’s official — this is the snowiest winter season on record for the city of Erie.
A National Weather Service meteorologist tells The Erie Times-News that as of 1 p.m. Wednesday the seasonal snowfall at Erie International Airport totals 152.1 inches. That smashes the previous record of 149.1 inches during the 2000-2001 season.
Meteorologist Mark Adams of the weather service’s Cleveland office says with two more months of snow likely, “you’ll be way higher than the record.”
December’s 120.9 inches was the single-highest monthly snowfall in Erie history, much of it falling during the Christmastime storm that brought five feet of snow to the northwestern Pennsylvania.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hundreds at vigils mourn victims of Branson boat accident WATCH
- Cohen secretly taped Trump discussing payment to Playboy model
- As president-elect, Trump was shown classified evidence of Putin’s hand in 2016 meddling
- Portland woman swerves off cliff and survives 7 days trapped on a secluded California beach
- Pilots recount rescue of suicidal man on Mount Hood
Forecasters said a low pressure system was expected to drop three to five inches Wednesday, and by afternoon three inches had fallen.
Information from: Erie Times-News, http://www.goerie.com