ERIE, Pa. (AP) — It’s official — this is the snowiest winter season on record for the city of Erie.
A National Weather Service meteorologist tells The Erie Times-News that as of 1 p.m. Wednesday the seasonal snowfall at Erie International Airport totals 152.1 inches. That smashes the previous record of 149.1 inches during the 2000-2001 season.
Meteorologist Mark Adams of the weather service’s Cleveland office says with two more months of snow likely, “you’ll be way higher than the record.”
December’s 120.9 inches was the single-highest monthly snowfall in Erie history, much of it falling during the Christmastime storm that brought five feet of snow to the northwestern Pennsylvania.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Alec Baldwin wonders whether Trump's 'SNL' attack poses 'a threat to my safety'
- Newspaper calls for KKK resurgence, schools rescind honors
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Sen. Bernie Sanders says he's running for president in 2020 WATCH
- Intimidation, pressure and humiliation: Inside Trump’s two-year war on the investigations encircling him VIEW
Forecasters said a low pressure system was expected to drop three to five inches Wednesday, and by afternoon three inches had fallen.
Information from: Erie Times-News, http://www.goerie.com