ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s office says Erdogan has talked a man out of jumping off a bridge.
Television footage on Friday showed Erdogan’s motorcade stopping on Istanbul’s Bosporus Bridge, where a man was apparently contemplating jumping off. Erdogan’s aides are heard telling the man that the president wants to speak to him, then seen escorting him to Erdogan’s car. Erdogan does not leave his vehicle and keeps his phone pressed to his ear, but the man leans in and the two are seen talking.
An official from Erdogan’s office told The Associated Press the man was depressed because of family issues.
Erdogan promised to help, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity in line with government regulations.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- People dumped their pets into lakes, officials say. Now football-size goldfish are taking over.
- Free money for all? Mayors hope local tests bring big change
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events