ROANOKE, Va. (AP) — A bystander shot an English bull terrier after the animal escaped through an open door and attacked a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller, dragging her to the ground.
Roanoke police Capt. Chester Smith tells The Roanoke Times that the dog also attacked a man who pulled it off the woman.
Bystanders tried to intervene and pull the dog off the man. The dog released its grip after it was pepper-sprayed, but then it chased the crowd until another bystander retrieved his handgun from his car and shot the dog twice.
The dog’s owner has not been charged. The injured man and woman were taken to a hospital, and the dog was euthanized. An investigation is ongoing.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Information from: The Roanoke Times, http://www.roanoke.com