CAIRO (AP) — An Egyptian columnist has ignited a firestorm on social media by calling on Liverpool’s star forward Mohamed Salah to shave his beard, saying he looks like a “terrorist.”
In an article published Sunday by the state-run newspaper Al-Ahram, Salah Montaser said Salah should shave his beard as it “puts him in one basket with extremists…. and terrorists.”
Fans criticized the article on social media, saying facial hair is a personal choice and that people shouldn’t be judged on their appearance.
Salah is the Premier League’s joint-top scorer, with Tottenham’s Harry Kane, with 24 goals this season. He is on one of the best scoring sprees in Europe’s big five leagues right now.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Coalition of states sues Trump over national-emergency declaration to build border wall
- Sailor in iconic V-J Day Times Square kiss photo dies at 95
He is a huge celebrity in his native Egypt, which is struggling to combat an Islamic State-led insurgency.