CAIRO (AP) — Maybe the Dark Side is to blame.
Fans in Egypt with IMAX tickets for the premiere of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” were bitterly disappointed when the theater in Cairo said it was cancelling its showings on opening day.
“We are extremely sorry to let you know that the IMAX copy of STAR WARS shipped to our theatre is corrupt,” the theatre said on its Facebook page Wednesday.
“I was livid. We have been planning it since November, reserved tickets online and everything was under control, then they tell us ‘Sorry,'” 34-year-old fan Mahmoud Salem said. “They are lucky people here aren’t die-hard fans. If this had happened in the U.S., they would have set the theatre on fire.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.
- Largest US quake in half-century causes Alaska little damage
- What you need to know about the CDC's new mask guidance
- Prison officials allowed convicted sex abuser Larry Nassar to pay little to victims while spending thousands on himself
IMAX Egypt says the movie is showing as scheduled Thursday.