DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A Duluth teacher is accused of having sex with a former student at her home earlier this month.
Thirty-three-year-old Karla Winterfeld was charged Wednesday with first-degree criminal sexual conduct.
Winterfeld was arrested Monday, the day Duluth police were notified about the alleged contact. Authorities say the 15-year-old boy is a former student of Winterfeld’s.
According to the criminal complaint, police collected evidence that included a recording of sexual acts, photographs and text messages.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Marin, once known for vaccine skeptics, now tells them ‘you’re not welcome’
- Supreme Court rejects bump stock ban cases
- U.S. Supreme Court takes on Clean Water Act in Idaho couple's case
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- His mom's house flooded during Ian. He swam a half-mile to save her
Winterfeld requested a public defender, but a judge rejected that request. Her bail was set at $100,000.
Winterfeld is a health teacher at Lincoln Park Middle School. The Duluth School District says she has been placed on administrative leave, and that the district is cooperating with police during their investigation.