ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) — Massachusetts state police say a 26-year-old man has died after his car slammed into a parked tow truck in the breakdown lane of Interstate 95 southbound in Attleboro.
Troopers say Michael Avelar, of Stoughton, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday.
An Attleboro police officer had called for the tow truck to remove a disabled vehicle from the highway. No one was in the truck when it was struck by Avelar’s car.
No other injuries were reported. Troopers say debris from the accident damaged the Attleboro officer’s cruiser.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Man, 30, dies after attending a ‘COVID party,’ Texas hospital says
- Sheriff: 'Glee’ star Naya Rivera saved son before drowning VIEW
- 'We're just overwhelmed': The view from inside California hospitals as COVID-19 surges
- 'MythBusters' host Grant Imahara, an influential popular science personality, dies at 49
- US carries out the 1st federal execution in nearly 2 decades VIEW
The cause of the crash is under investigation.