ATTLEBORO, Mass. (AP) — Massachusetts state police say a 26-year-old man has died after his car slammed into a parked tow truck in the breakdown lane of Interstate 95 southbound in Attleboro.
Troopers say Michael Avelar, of Stoughton, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday.
An Attleboro police officer had called for the tow truck to remove a disabled vehicle from the highway. No one was in the truck when it was struck by Avelar’s car.
No other injuries were reported. Troopers say debris from the accident damaged the Attleboro officer’s cruiser.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Up to 13 feared dead in volcanic eruption off New Zealand VIEW
- Democrats' impeachment charges say Trump 'betrayed' US WATCH
- Anti-doping agency imposes 4-year ban on Russia VIEW
- Democrats poised to unveil 2 impeachment articles vs. Trump VIEW
- AP FACT CHECK: Impeachment hearing draws too-simple answers
The cause of the crash is under investigation.