SUQUALENA, Miss. (AP) — A dump truck driver is dead and a house is damaged following a Wednesday morning crash in eastern Mississippi.
Lauderdale County Coroner Clayton Cobler tells news outlets that 72-year-old Otho “Gerald” Matlock was found dead inside a Mack dump truck after it ran off the road and crashed into a home.
The home in Suqualena (SICK’-uh-leen-uh) caught fire, but no one was home.
Cobler says Matlock may have died before the crash, possibly from a heart attack or other medical condition. He notes a lack of skid marks before the truck hit the house. An autopsy will provide more information about the cause of death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fake images of Trump arrest show 'giant step' for AI's disruptive power
- What to know about the eyedrops linked to deaths and vision loss
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- End of the rainbow? California bill would ban sales of Skittles, other 'toxic' snacks
- A tree fell, killing two children. Their parents are now warning others
Lauderdale County Fire Coordinator Allan Dover says the fire damaged about 40 percent of the wood-frame home, including a porch, attic, living room and bathroom.