CAMDEN, Mo. (AP) — A northwest Missouri couple is charged with more than 50 felony counts of child abuse and neglect involving a 9-year-old girl.
Ray County authorities say the girl was abused for months, including allegedly being struck with an ax.
The Kansas City Star reports 29-year-old Mario Barreto, of Camden, is charged with 29 counts of child abuse or neglect. And 25-year-old Melissa Holloway, also of Camden, faces 22 counts of child abuse or neglect and one count of hindering prosecution. The child was in the care of Barreto, a relative of the girl.
Both pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Hearing sets up dramatic showdown between Kavanaugh, accuser WATCH
- Trump Jr. mocks sexual assault claim against Kavanaugh
- Grizzly's rare aggressive attack kills 1, puzzles officials
- Noah's Ark except it's a school bus: Truck driver rescues 64 dogs and cats from floods of Hurricane Florence
- Soon-Yi Previn defends husband Woody Allen, attacks mother
Court records indicate the girl was hospitalized in February with several injuries, including fingers on her right hand that were allegedly crushed with an ax head.
Online court records don’t indicate the couple has attorneys.
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com