CAMDEN, Mo. (AP) — A northwest Missouri couple is charged with more than 50 felony counts of child abuse and neglect involving a 9-year-old girl.
Ray County authorities say the girl was abused for months, including allegedly being struck with an ax.
The Kansas City Star reports 29-year-old Mario Barreto, of Camden, is charged with 29 counts of child abuse or neglect. And 25-year-old Melissa Holloway, also of Camden, faces 22 counts of child abuse or neglect and one count of hindering prosecution. The child was in the care of Barreto, a relative of the girl.
Both pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- Peter Tork, endearingly offbeat bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77 VIEW
- Rare snow dusts Vegas strip, sticks to LA-area foothills VIEW
- 'I ruined my life. I ruined my future': Two American wives of ISIS militants want to come home
- US: Alabama woman who joined Islamic State is not a citizen
Court records indicate the girl was hospitalized in February with several injuries, including fingers on her right hand that were allegedly crushed with an ax head.
Online court records don’t indicate the couple has attorneys.
Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com