LAKE MARY, Fla. (AP) — Dozens of people have been protesting outside a local tax collector’s office in Florida, demanding that he resign for posting on Facebook what many perceive was an anti-Muslim comment.
The protesters outside Seminole County Tax Collector Joel Greenberg’s office on Wednesday chanted “Greenberg has got to go.”
Greenberg has been under fire since last weekend when he posted on his personal Facebook page, “Very simple question…Name just ONE society in the developed world that has benefited in ANY WAY from the introduction of more Muslims. Just one. Asking for a friend.”
The post was criticized by several Democratic candidates and Muslim leaders.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Greenberg has said he was asking the question on behalf of radio host Neil Boortz, who had posted a similar question.
Seminole County is a suburb of Orlando.