CLEVELAND (AP) — A man has paid off more than $106,000 in shoppers’ layaways at two Wal-Mart stores in northeast Ohio.
WEWS-TV (http://bit.ly/1ITUW9W ) in Cleveland reports that the man told Wal-Mart employees that he liked to do something special on his birthday every year. They say he insisted on remaining anonymous.
The donor paid off a total of nearly $70,000 for the layaway items at the Steelyard Commons store in Cleveland and about $36,000 for items in Lorain. Items on layaway included toys, 70-inch televisions and even a pair of socks.
Tara Neal said she had paid $10 on a bed for her 3-year-old daughter at one of the stores when she was told Tuesday that the remaining balance of more than $80 was paid. She said it was “like Santa.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Is it COVID or flu? New at-home test can tell you
- How big is the latest U.S. coronavirus wave? No one really knows
- Enjoy these photos of the blood moon's total lunar eclipse
- How often can you be infected with the coronavirus?
- Cross-border 'narco tunnel' links Tijuana house to California warehouse; 6 people charged