CLEVELAND (AP) — A man has paid off more than $106,000 in shoppers’ layaways at two Wal-Mart stores in northeast Ohio.
WEWS-TV (http://bit.ly/1ITUW9W ) in Cleveland reports that the man told Wal-Mart employees that he liked to do something special on his birthday every year. They say he insisted on remaining anonymous.
The donor paid off a total of nearly $70,000 for the layaway items at the Steelyard Commons store in Cleveland and about $36,000 for items in Lorain. Items on layaway included toys, 70-inch televisions and even a pair of socks.
Tara Neal said she had paid $10 on a bed for her 3-year-old daughter at one of the stores when she was told Tuesday that the remaining balance of more than $80 was paid. She said it was “like Santa.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- 'I should have gotten the damn vaccine,' woman says fiancé texted before he died of COVID-19
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Two travelers submitted fake vaccination cards before flying to Toronto. Each was fined nearly $16,000.
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough