MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (AP) — A domestic assault charge against a Rhode Island police officer has been dropped because the alleged victim declined to testify against him.
State police arrested Middletown police Lt. Richard Gamache and his girlfriend in October, charging both with domestic assault.
Prosecutors say they dropped the case against Gamache on Wednesday because there was no evidence apart from the testimony of his girlfriend.
Charges against Gamache’s girlfriend have not been dropped.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- CNN's Acosta back at White House after judge's ruling VIEW
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
Gamache had been suspended from the force since his arrest. Middletown police declined to comment Wednesday on the case or Gamache’s current status.
Gamache could not be reached for comment.