MIDDLETOWN, R.I. (AP) — A domestic assault charge against a Rhode Island police officer has been dropped because the alleged victim declined to testify against him.
State police arrested Middletown police Lt. Richard Gamache and his girlfriend in October, charging both with domestic assault.
Prosecutors say they dropped the case against Gamache on Wednesday because there was no evidence apart from the testimony of his girlfriend.
Charges against Gamache’s girlfriend have not been dropped.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- White House attempts to clarify Trump's response to whether Russia is still targeting US elections
- Trump says Air Force One to get red, white and blue makeover
- Tale of sex, deception emerges about suspected Russian agent
- Oregon wheat farmers try to stop fire that's consuming crops VIEW
- In India, summer heat could soon be unbearable — literally
Gamache had been suspended from the force since his arrest. Middletown police declined to comment Wednesday on the case or Gamache’s current status.
Gamache could not be reached for comment.