FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — A dog that disappeared after her owner was killed in a highway wreck has been found in North Carolina.
The Fayetteville Observer reports Nellie, a pit bull who belonged to 57-year-old William F. Schlesinger of Arlington, Virginia, had a broken rear leg and was covered in bug bites when she was found. She is being treated at a Fayetteville veterinary clinic.
A friend of Schlesinger had been searching for Nellie after the July 10 wreck. Workers at a convenience store said the dog wandered up to the store early Thursday. The store is about 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the site of the wreck.
The N.C. Highway Patrol said it appears Schlesinger fell asleep as he was traveling north on Interstate 95, crossed the southbound lanes and hit a tree.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- As some Democrats grow impatient with Biden, alternative voices emerge
- Trump White House counsel Cipollone to testify to 1/6 panel
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com