LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — A man arrested last month on drug charges is now charged in connection with a 2008 homicide in Louisiana.
The Advertiser reports Lafayette police announced Friday that 56-year-old Millard Hebert is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 47-year-old Bonnie Ruphard, whose body was found in a wooded area in December 2008. No suspects were identified at the time.
Police say DNA taken when Hebert was arrested last month matched samples found at the scene of Ruphard’s death. Detective Stephen Bajat says Hebert provided a confession.
Police say Ruphard was in town for painting work at the time of her death. The connection between victim and suspect is unknown. Bajat says Hebert provided a motive that won’t be released at this time.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- This major discovery upends long-held theories about the Maya civilization
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Washington tops all states in anti-corruption ranking
It’s unclear whether Hebert has a lawyer.
Information from: The Advertiser, http://www.theadvertiser.com