LAFAYETTE, La. (AP) — A man arrested last month on drug charges is now charged in connection with a 2008 homicide in Louisiana.
The Advertiser reports Lafayette police announced Friday that 56-year-old Millard Hebert is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 47-year-old Bonnie Ruphard, whose body was found in a wooded area in December 2008. No suspects were identified at the time.
Police say DNA taken when Hebert was arrested last month matched samples found at the scene of Ruphard’s death. Detective Stephen Bajat says Hebert provided a confession.
Police say Ruphard was in town for painting work at the time of her death. The connection between victim and suspect is unknown. Bajat says Hebert provided a motive that won’t be released at this time.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
It’s unclear whether Hebert has a lawyer.
Information from: The Advertiser, http://www.theadvertiser.com