WARREN, Mich. (AP) — A 3-year-old girl has been wounded after an AK-47 assault rifle accidentally discharged as her grandmother was trying to unload the weapon inside a Detroit-area home.
Warren police say the girl was shot Wednesday morning after the grandmother found the rifle in the home.
WJBK-TV reports that the slug traveled from the second floor and grazed the girl’s leg. The girl was on the first floor. Police say it also narrowly missed an 18-year-old who was in the basement.
Police say the 3-year-old girl was in stable condition at a hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- As nations decide to live with the virus, some disease experts warn of surrendering too soon
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
It was not immediately known who owns the rifle. Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer says there “probably will be some charges forthcoming.”
Warren is just north of Detroit.