ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida sheriff’s deputy shot and wounded a man suspected of carjacking following a brief, late-night police chase near Orlando.
The Orlando Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1Pg18bI ) reports Orange County Sheriff’s deputies spotted an orange Hummer on Sunday night than had apparently been stolen at gunpoint a short time earlier.
Authorities say the deputies followed the vehicle for about five miles until it stopped. A sheriff’s office report says the deputy saw a man get out of the vehicle with a gun. The deputy says he feared for his life and fired, wounding the 19-year-old suspect.
The suspect was taken to a hospital in stable condition. He faces charges of armed carjacking, robbery with a firearm and eluding police.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- A giant red hamster wheel washed up on a Florida beach. And a man was inside
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Deputies say they recovered a gun.
An investigation continues.
Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/