ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A Florida sheriff’s deputy shot and wounded a man suspected of carjacking following a brief, late-night police chase near Orlando.
The Orlando Sentinel (http://bit.ly/1Pg18bI ) reports Orange County Sheriff’s deputies spotted an orange Hummer on Sunday night than had apparently been stolen at gunpoint a short time earlier.
Authorities say the deputies followed the vehicle for about five miles until it stopped. A sheriff’s office report says the deputy saw a man get out of the vehicle with a gun. The deputy says he feared for his life and fired, wounding the 19-year-old suspect.
The suspect was taken to a hospital in stable condition. He faces charges of armed carjacking, robbery with a firearm and eluding police.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s taxes show chronic losses and years of income tax avoidance WATCH
- Cambridge Analytica database identified Black U.S. voters as ripe for 'deterrence,' British broadcaster says
- Donald Trump, facing financial ruin, sought control of his elderly father's estate — leading to an epic family fight
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Her words: Amy Coney Barrett on faith, precedent, abortion
Deputies say they recovered a gun.
An investigation continues.
Information from: Orlando Sentinel, http://www.orlandosentinel.com/