ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — Authorities have identified two men killed on a New Mexico freeway when they were struck by a vehicle while changing a flat tire.
Sandoval County Sheriff’s officials say the victims were 21-year-old Michael Chambellan of Albuquerque and 28-year-old Lonnie Escovedo of Santa Fe.
They say the alcohol is believed to be factor in the fatal accident and charges are pending against 31-year-old Christie Noriega of Rio Rancho.
It’s unclear if she has a lawyer yet.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- At Costco food-sample line, gunfire, death and unanswered questions
- Citing ‘painful’ family situation, Shanahan withdraws as Pentagon nominee
- Horns are growing on young people's skulls. Phone use is to blame, research suggests.
- Selfies with young bear continued despite warnings; wildlife officials euthanized him
- Scientists record singing by rare right whale for first time WATCH
Sheriff’s officials say one of the victims pulled over to a shoulder on Interstate 25 near Algodones on Tuesday evening and the another man stopped to assist him with changing a tire.
They say a vehicle driven by Noriega allegedly struck the men, killing both.
Algodones is about 22 miles (35 kilometers) north of Albuquerque.