TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — A man fatally shot his stepdaughter at a Florida hospital while they were visiting a family member Monday morning, then turned the gun on himself, authorities said.
The gunman was identified in a news release as 70-year-old Steven Eugene Reynolds of Dade City, Florida.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s deputies said Reynolds shot 41-year-old Alonna Tedesco on the third floor of Florida Hospital, north of downtown Tampa.
Tedesco, also of Dade City, was rushed to the hospital’s emergency room, where she later died. Reynolds also died at the hospital.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wealthy couple chartered a plane to the Yukon, took vaccines meant for Indigenous elders, authorities said
- US terrorism alert warns of politically motivated violence
- Judge bars Biden from enforcing 100-day deportation ban
- Biden may be stuck with some Trumpists
- Biden to reopen ACA marketplaces, lower barriers for joining Medicaid
Officials say the motive for the shooting is unclear.
“We treated it as an active shooter since we had so many calls about shots,” said Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Col. Donna Lusczynski. “There was a lot of chaos just to make sure all the patients were OK.”
The shooting was contained to the hospital room, Lusczynski added.
Officials said there are security cameras through much of the hospital and that investigators are in the process of looking for video that could help in their investigation.