GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) — A 40-year-old Denver-area man convicted of killing his wife has been sentenced to life in prison.
Jurors deliberated for three hours before finding Gary Nickal, of Westminster, guilty Thursday of murder in the April 28, 2016, death of 35-year-old Molly Nickal.
Prosecutors say that two days before Molly Nickal was killed, she contacted an attorney to begin the process of having her husband served with divorce papers and getting sole custody of the children. She also was planning to leave and take the children with her.
Gary Nickal approached her in the bathroom and shot her twice with a shotgun, including once in the head. The couple’s three young children were in the house when police arrived.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fuller picture emerges of viral video encounter between Native American and Catholic students
- Senate Republicans all but surrender to Trump on wall, despite shutdown's toll
- The man who stood behind Trump VIEW
- Kamala Harris opens presidential bid
- 2-for-1: Total lunar eclipse comes with supermoon bonus VIEW
Jurors rejected Gary Nickal’s insanity defense.