ST. LOUIS (AP) — A veteran St. Louis Democratic fundraiser faces charges for allegedly shooting a gun and shouting racial slurs.
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that 38-year-old Matthew Lieberman is a longtime fundraiser for former Mayor Francis Slay and other Democrats. Lieberman was charged Thursday with unlawful use of a weapon and armed criminal action. One weapons charge includes a hate crime enhancement alleging his actions were “motivated by race.”
Lieberman is jailed on $250,000 bond with no listed attorney.
Court documents say Lieberman, who is white, pointed a handgun Tuesday at someone at a gas station while using racial epithets, then shot at a building from his car.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Author Salman Rushdie stabbed on lecture stage in New York
- A child abductee's journey back
- FBI seized top secret documents in Trump estate search
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The documents say that in a separate incident at a fast-food restaurant, Lieberman shouted racial epithets at maintenance workers and shot from his car.
Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, http://www.stltoday.com