CASPER, Wyo. (AP) — A Laramie attorney has become the first Democratic Party candidate for Wyoming’s lone U.S. House seat now held by Republican Liz Cheney.
Travis Helm is a native of the small city of Rawlins who graduated from the University of Wyoming law school and specializes in immigration law.
He is the only announced Democrat for the congressional seat.
Helm tells the Casper Star-Tribune in a story this week he was raised in a Republican family but switched to the Democratic Party.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- 'Nobody should work here — ever': Teen uses intercom to quit Walmart
- 12-year-old in China kills his mother, then returns to school, igniting an outcry
Helm said his campaign will focus on maintaining access to public lands and improving health care.
He said he supports a nationwide single-payer health care option, saying Wyoming is one of the least affordable states for health insurance.
Cheney is nearing the end of her first term in the House.
Information from: Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune, http://www.trib.com