LEWES, Del. (AP) — A Delaware man who was shot by his father has been arrested on charges in connection with the incident.
The Daily Times of Salisbury reports that Lewes police responded to the Sussex Correctional Institute on Thursday to charge 31-year-old Spencer Coffin, who was being held there on unrelated charges.
Police had previously said that a man identified as Coffin’s father reported shooting his son during an argument Dec. 1. Lewes Police Chief Thomas Spell said in December that the investigation was in the hands of the state’s attorney general’s office, and the case’s complexity was delaying the filing of charges.
The investigation subsequently found that the father was protecting himself from Coffin’s menacing and aggressive behavior.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Smollett developments leave some baffled, others outraged
- He threw away a napkin at a hockey game. It was used to charge him in a 1993 murder.
- Amid Trump’s crackdown, thousands of asylum-seekers on the border are giving up
- Obama quietly gives advice to 2020 Democrats, but no endorsement
- Fire deaths rise to 71 ahead of Trump's California visit WATCH
It’s unclear whether Coffin has a lawyer.
Information from: The Daily Times of Salisbury, Md., http://www.delmarvanow.com/