LEBANON, Ohio (AP) — Defense attorneys are asking a judge to lift house arrest for a teen facing trial on charges she killed and buried her newborn baby near her family’s southwestern Ohio home.
Attorneys for 19-year-old Brooke Skylar Richardson filed a motion Monday in Warren County after a judge postponed her murder trial while a state appeals court rules on a dispute over medical testimony.
The motion says Richardson hasn’t committed any infractions since being placed on house arrest last summer. Prosecutors replied Tuesday that they adamantly oppose lifting restrictions, citing the interests of ensuring her appearance and for “public safety.”
Richardson is accused of burying her full-term baby last July shortly after giving birth in Carlisle, a village 40 miles (64 kilometers) north of Cincinnati.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
- Anna the anaconda got pregnant all by herself — by 'virgin birth'
Defense attorneys argue the baby was stillborn.