ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. (AP) — Investigators say the death of a 47-year-old man whose car caught fire in southwestern Wyoming was an accident.
Michael Lee Tinnie was driving to see a waterfall west of Rock Springs on Feb. 15 when his car got stuck in an area of tall, thick sagebrush that pressed tightly against the driver’s side door. Investigators believe heat from the exhaust system or the catalytic converter sparked the blaze.
Tinnie, of Rock Springs, was the only one in the vehicle. He died of smoke inhalation.
Investigators say alcohol also played a role in his death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas