RENO, Nev. (AP) — The death of a 41-year-old man who ran into the flames during the burning of a towering wooden effigy at the Burning Man counterculture festival in Nevada in September has been ruled a suicide.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reported on its Web site Friday that the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office in California officially ruled Aaron Mitchell’s death a suicide. The coroner listed his cause of death as cardiac arrest, bodily shock and third-degree burns over 97 percent of his body.
Mitchell died hours after he hurled past two layers of security and into the flames on Sept. 2 at the festival in the Black Rock Desert 90 miles north of Reno.
Mitchell was originally from McAlester, Oklahoma but had been living in Switzerland with his wife, Ladina.
Most Read Stories
- Drinking alcohol key to living past 90, study says
- Seattle-area's cold snap to last with spring still a month away, weather service says
- Seattle federal prosecutor Thomas Wales was possibly killed by hired gunman, FBI official says
- Unlimited movie-theater deal could be too good to survive
- All of Seattle’s public high school students to get unlimited ORCA passes under new Durkan plan WATCH
Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com