ERIE, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say the death of a New York man found on the ice in Presque Isle Bay in northwestern Pennsylvania has been ruled accidental.
The Erie County Coroner says the body of 65-year-old Thomas Fields of Buffalo was recovered at the foot of Dobbins Landing on Saturday morning.
Coroner Lyell Cook says Fields, a former Erie resident, was visiting family but wandered away at about midnight. Erie police say surveillance video shows him alone when he fell from the dock just after 6 a.m. Saturday.
Someone passing by spotted the body shortly after 8 a.m. Saturday. Cook said Fields died of hypothermia.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog