AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — The deadline is nearing for hunters who want to participate in a Maine moose hunt that could be expanded this year.
The moose hunt is one of Maine’s most popular outdoor traditions, and this year the number of permits could grow by more than a fifth to 2,500. The deadline to submit a permit application is Sunday.
The moose hunt attracts tens of thousands of applications every year and the permits are doled out via a lottery. The hunt itself stretches from late September to late October in different parts of the state.
Maine biologists say moose calves appear to be showing strong survival rates in the northern part of the state. Regulators still have to decide on an appropriate number of hunting permits for 2018.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI conducted search at his Mar-a-Lago estate
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal