LAS VEGAS (AP) — Medical examiners in Las Vegas have determined that artist Dave Dave, who was badly scarred when his father set him on fire as a boy, died of natural causes.
Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg (FYOU’-den-berg) said in a statement Monday that the artist born David Rothenberg died July 15 of sepsis due to pneumonia. He was 42.
As a 6-year-old, Dave was set afire and badly burned in 1983 by his father in a Southern California motel room near Disneyland.
He underwent numerous skin grafts but refused to define himself as a victim. He became a close friend of Michael Jackson’s.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fake images of Trump arrest show 'giant step' for AI's disruptive power
- What to know about the eyedrops linked to deaths and vision loss
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- End of the rainbow? California bill would ban sales of Skittles, other 'toxic' snacks
- A tree fell, killing two children. Their parents are now warning others
Dave’s father, Charles Rothenberg, went to prison for attempted murder and later amassed a criminal record for other crimes before being sentenced in California in 2007 to 25 years to life in prison.