RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A daughter of former four-term North Carolina Gov. Jim Hunt now also wants to serve in Raleigh by getting elected to the state legislature.
Democrat Rachel Hunt announced Wednesday she would run for the state House in a Mecklenburg County district currently represented by Republican Bill Brawley, a senior chairman of the House Finance Committee.
Hunt is an attorney who operates a college counseling firm and a company that helps Charlotte parents locate school options. She said she’s running because the state’s public education system has been undermined by politicians in Raleigh.
Rachel Hunt is one of Jim and Carolyn Hunt’s four children. Jim Hunt was first elected governor in 1976 and served through 1984. He then was elected to two more four-year terms through 2000.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Couple finds their luggage is overweight because of stowaway dog
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Could this new version of an old grain help fight climate change and feed the world?
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
- When a fisherman pulled in his line, he knew he had 'something weird': A 40-pound alligator gar