RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A daughter of former four-term North Carolina Gov. Jim Hunt now also wants to serve in Raleigh by getting elected to the state legislature.
Democrat Rachel Hunt announced Wednesday she would run for the state House in a Mecklenburg County district currently represented by Republican Bill Brawley, a senior chairman of the House Finance Committee.
Hunt is an attorney who operates a college counseling firm and a company that helps Charlotte parents locate school options. She said she’s running because the state’s public education system has been undermined by politicians in Raleigh.
Rachel Hunt is one of Jim and Carolyn Hunt’s four children. Jim Hunt was first elected governor in 1976 and served through 1984. He then was elected to two more four-year terms through 2000.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- ‘I’m done saying I’m sorry,’ Alex Jones tells Sandy Hook families in court
- 5 things about COVID we still don't understand — at our peril
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Daylight saving ends soon. Wait, didn't lawmakers vote to end this?
- Ex-staffer's unauthorized book about Jan. 6 committee rankles members