GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — The daughter of a Wisconsin legislator has pleaded not guilty to delivering the drugs that killed a pregnant woman.
Cassie Nygren is facing several charges in northeastern Wisconsin’s Brown County, including first-degree reckless homicide. The charges stem from the June death of Jennifer Skeen, who died of a fentanyl overdose.
Nygren’s father, Rep. John Nygren, has been public about his daughter’s struggle with drugs. He’s sponsored numerous laws aimed at combating the opioid epidemic.
WLUK-TV reports that Nygren’s attorney is seeking to have the venue changed in her case or a jury brought in from outside the area, arguing that an impartial jury cannot be found in Brown County. Her father represents the area in the state House.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Amazon dumps NYC headquarters and its promised 25,000 jobs
- Too big to sell: Airbus bids pained adieu to superjumbo A380 VIEW
- Unclaimed $1.5B prize: South Carolina could be big loser too
- Congress OKs border deal; Trump will sign, declare emergency WATCH
- Trump tests presidential power, declares emergency at border WATCH
Cassie Nygren’s boyfriend, Shawn Gray, is also charged in the case. He’s due in court on Thursday for a status hearing.
Information from: WLUK-TV, http://www.fox11online.com