LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lois Laurel Hawes, the only daughter of famed comedian Stan Laurel, has died. She was 89.
A family statement says Hawes died late Friday night at a Los Angeles hospital after a long illness.
She was Laurel’s daughter by his first wife, Lois Neilson, and the comedian’s last surviving child.
Laurel and his partner, Oliver Hardy, had decades of success. They wore trademark bowler hats and Laurel played the dim-witted sidekick to the pompous Hardy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Aide: Trump dismissed Jan. 6 threats, wanted to join crowd
- Ghislaine Maxwell sentenced to 20 years for helping Epstein
- Ocasio-Cortez wants 2 justices impeached for ‘lying under oath’
- Trump tried to strangle Secret Service agent in attempt to reach Capitol on Jan. 6, aide testifies
- The story behind AP report that caused Trump to throw lunch
They made more than 100 films but Laurel retired after Hardy died in 1957.
Laurel died in 1965.
His daughter made uncredited appearances in several of their productions.
She was married to “Gone With the Wind” actor Rand Brooks and later to actor Tony Hawes.
She’s survived by a daughter, five grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.