MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) — The Dakota Wesleyan University women’s basketball team has won the program’s first national title.
The Mitchell school beat Concordia University 82-59 on Tuesday in Sioux City, Iowa, to capture the NAIA Division II championship.
Tigers sophomore guard Kynedi Cheeseman scored 26 points in the title game and was named tournament most valuable player.
DWU finished the season with a 32-6 record, tying the school record for most wins in a season.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Scary statistic: 90.5 percent of plastic is not recycled
- Judge delays Flynn sentencing, 'not hiding disgust' at crime WATCH
- A Paradise fire cleanup crew joked about ruins and a charred cat. Then the town found out.
- Retired Army general set to be tried on charges of abusing daughter
- 'Republicans will never stop': Obama rips GOP after Affordable Care Act is ruled unconstitutional