ERIE, Pa. (AP) — A district attorney says state troopers were justified in shooting a man in northwestern Pennsylvania after he opened fire on them.
Erie County District Attorney Jack Daneri on Monday released a statement in which he said he reviewed witness statements and 911 recordings in the Jan. 7 shooting in Erie.
Investigators say three state troopers returned fire after 71-year-old Anthony LaCastro Jr. fired shots from an assault rifle. LaCastro was shot in the abdomen and survived.
Police had responded to a report of a domestic incident involving gunfire.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Nation's new aircraft carrier enters next phase at shipyard
- John Cynn claims World Series of Poker title, wins $8.8M VIEW
- Pussy Riot upstages Putin with protest that halts World Cup VIEW
- U.S. Naval Academy: New hair rules don't apply to midshipmen
- Arizona man arrested after trying to pull over troopers
LaCastro is charged with attempted homicide and is awaiting a preliminary court appearance in March.