FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) — Prosecutors say they won’t pursue charges against a Bloomfield juvenile accused of shooting his father during a domestic dispute.
The Daily Times of Farmington, New Mexico, reports San Juan County District Attorney’s Office announced last week the teen won’t face prosecution but the dad, Steven Mortensen, is facing battery charges.
Bloomfield police say the 37-year-old Mortensen was found with a gunshot wound to the stomach on Jan. 20 after officers received a report of a shooting.
He was transported to the San Juan Regional Medical Center but was later released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- They relied on rapid COVID tests to gather safely; now some wish they hadn't
- New sequence of images shows Tonga volcano's devastation
- Cracker Barrel served a cleaning chemical to a customer; now the restaurant must pay him $9.3M
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- A hiker went camping despite warnings about severe winter weather. Six rescuers in snowshoes had to save him.
A criminal complaint says Mortensen is charged with a third-degree felony count of aggravated battery and a misdemeanor count of battery stemming from a domestic dispute with his wife.
It was not known if Mortensen had an attorney.
Information from: The Daily Times, http://www.daily-times.com