MARATHON, Fla. (AP) — Coast Guard and sheriff’s crews have found two women who were reported missing after allegedly jumping from a small row boat and swimming ashore in the Florida Keys.
In a news release, the U.S. Coast Guard said the incident was reported early Tuesday morning by a man who was apparently on the boat with the women. Officials say a man called the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office around 2:30 a.m., saying he lost sight of the women in the water.
The Coast Guard sent a helicopter crew from Miami and a boat crew from Marathon to search for the women.
The agency said in a news release sent later Tuesday that the women were found safe near Marathon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Pittsburgh bridge collapses, drops city bus into ravine
- Meet Willow, the long-awaited new White House cat
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
No further details were immediately available.