LYNN, Mass. (AP) — Prosecutors say a man charged with trying to kidnap a 1-year-old girl from a Massachusetts laundromat had told police he wanted to kill the child.
Twenty-four-year-old Precious Chigbue was arraigned on a kidnapping charge Wednesday in Lynn. He was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing.
Lynn police say the suspect grabbed the child at a laundromat Tuesday and tried to leave. They say he was stopped by a witness and the mother.
Chigbue fled after being confronted and was arrested at a nearby supermarket. The child wasn’t hurt.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Prosecutors say Chigbue told police he wanted to slit the child’s throat.
Emeka Iloba, who identified himself as the suspect’s cousin, says Chigbue recently switched to a new medication and would never harm anyone.
It’s unclear if Chigbue has an attorney.